Directs Ocean Conservancy’s Planned Giving program, including cultivation and stewardship of planned gift donors and prospects, oversight of estate settlements, establishment of life income gifts and generation of prospects to increase program revenue. Manages a dynamic team and participates as part of the senior leadership cohort within Development at the organization.
- Manages a Planned Giving team consisting of staff responsible for estate administration, marketing, donor stewardship and administrative support.
- Provides overarching strategic direction to Ocean Conservancy’s Planned Giving program and is responsible for its health and growth over the long-term.
- Works closely with the Vice President of Development and the Senior Director of Development to create annual plans and expense/revenue budgets for the Planned Giving program.
- Either directly administers or oversees core Planned Giving functions such as:
- Overseeing and managing estate settlements.
- Expanding and improving the Ocean Legacy Society recognition program.
- Cultivating and soliciting current and prospective donors to give outright gifts, grants, bequests, charitable gift annuities and other planned gifts, through personalized correspondence, telephone calls, and visits.
- Preparing senior staff, president, or board members for making planned giving donor calls and visits.
- Managing and marketing Ocean Conservancy’s Gift Annuity program.
- Working with the Finance department to ensure accountability of the planned giving program. Upholding technical, legal and fiduciary integrity of the program. Overseeing the life income gift asset managers, and external counsel, as needed.
- Preparing proposals and financial calculations for life income gifts with appropriate disclosure requirements for prospects and donors, working with donors’ tax and legal advisors as needed.
- Providing education, stewardship and ongoing cultivation of planned giving donors and prospects, including maintaining and growing the Ocean Legacy Society.
- Overseeing state registration, filings, and annual reports, working closely with the Finance and Administration Department.
- Using strategic, multi-layered marketing to increase known bequest commitments, generate life income gift inquiries, and raise awareness of planned gift opportunities.
- Coordinating with the Director of Membership and staff to develop direct mail pieces, newsletters, advertisements, brochures, inserts, web-based planned giving pages, and other promotions.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- At least ten years of experience in estate planning and/or high level development experience required. Experience needed in cultivating donors, explaining planned giving options, and soliciting and closing planned gifts.
- At least three years of experience managing a diverse, successful multi-person team.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan, organize, direct and control deferred giving activities that have achieved their goals and objectives.
- Must have excellent communication and be a team player.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and planned giving software such as Crescendo and PG Calc, a plus.
B.S. /B.A. degree is required
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] and note position title & job number: Director of Planned Giving #20-04 in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.