The Government Relations Manager will develop, implement, and coordinate efforts to advance Ocean Conservancy’s national policy and legislative agenda. S/he will work with our conservation experts to develop principled but pragmatic policy goals, activate new constituencies, and win real policy and legislative changes that protect and promote ocean health. We’re seeking a candidate who can support policy goals across many of the organization’s programs, with a primary focus on supporting our Arctic program and Ocean Planning program. Specifically, the Government Relations Manager will be given the responsibility of developing and executing a comprehensive government relations strategy for achieving our Arctic program’s policy objectives in both congress and the administration. Other programmatic priorities for which the successful candidate might provide support could include topics like Gulf of Mexico restoration, Congressional appropriations, sustainable fisheries, and more.
- This position represents the organization, and maintains close contact with Members of Congress, their staff, and the Administration on ocean conservation and funding issues.
- The Manager will work closely with Ocean Conservancy program staff to identify and create opportunities to advance specific policy goals, and to develop and implement strategies and tactics to achieve effective policy outcomes.
- This work will include policy analysis, legislative strategy development and implementation, selective stakeholder outreach, and coordination of the NGO community.
- The Manager will help determine when new legislative authority is needed, draft testimony, legislation, and legislative amendments, and communicate with Congressional staff.
- The Manager will respond to requests for information and advocate for the organization’s positions before Congress and federal agencies.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with Congress and/or the federal government on policy issues.
- Proven ability to understand and analyze complex regulatory and legislative issues; and develop and implement strategies to advance policy and legislative goals.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including capacity to communicate complex ideas compellingly to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate across disciplines and work collaboratively with diverse teams, networks, and coalitions.
- A strategic thinker who can identify, maximize, and create opportunities to advance Ocean Conservancy’s policy goals.
- A high-level performer who will bring the necessary creativity, energy, and commitment; and with the ability to move rapidly in response to policy opportunities as they present themselves.
- Understanding of Congress, the Administration, and the policy-making process.
- Attentive to details and adheres to deadlines and deliverables while keeping a larger vision in mind.
- Highly collaborative with an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team approach.
- Experience working in a government agency, congressional office, or experience lobbying is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with one or more of the policy issues listed above preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental policy, marine science or related field is required.
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy’s Government Relations team, please send a cover letter speaking to your qualifications and abilities with your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and note your name and #17-15 GRMGR in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.