The Individual Philanthropy Officer will be responsible for helping steward, cultivate and solicit individual donors who have the capacity to give $1,000 or more. The position will work closely with Ocean Conservancy’s Individual Giving and Planned Giving teams to implement strategies that will increase revenue from the organization’s mid-level giving program as well as qualify prospective donors. The Officer will also be integral in efforts to raise Ocean Conservancy’s organizational visibility and presence in key geographies. This position reports to the Director of Individual Philanthropy and is part of Ocean Conservancy’s Individual Philanthropy team.
- Manage and build a personal portfolio of approximately 100 individual donors and prospects through in-person visits, personalized communications and prospect research.
- Manage a national travel schedule (up to 50% of time) that drives in-person meetings with donors and prospects for cultivation, qualification and solicitation.
- Work with team members to write and develop communication pieces and annual proposals for donor outreach, updates and solicitation.
- Research current and prospective donors to support identification, qualification and expansion of current donor portfolios.
- Work with the Director of Individual Philanthropy to build and track prospect pipelines to help expand the program.
- Support and attend regional events to engage donors and prospects in key geographies.
- Work with the Individual Philanthropy team to develop strategies for donor engagement and donor support.
- Maintain database integrity and independently extract/upload donor lists and information from Raiser’s Edge.
- Exhibit respect for and excellent service to donors and all supporters of Ocean Conservancy through prompt and courteous communication.
- Empower and facilitate dynamic and strategic cross pollination to ensure that every donor group receives the best possible experience.
- Embrace a mission-driven, cohesive and supportive attitude within the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two to four years of relevant Development/Fundraising experience, and a working knowledge of Development principles and practices.
- Ability and willingness to travel— up to 50% of the time.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Ability to track and maintain multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work individually but also as part of a strong team, with self-direction and discipline.
- Demonstrated commitment to Ocean Conservancy’s mission.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge (or a similar donor management system) preferred.
- Ability to learn and explain Ocean Conservancy’s science-based programs.
- Background in environmental or ocean advocacy a plus
- Undergraduate degree
To be considered for this position, interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note position title and #19-11 in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.