Ocean Conservancy is investing in a Communications team that will help start a new conversation about conservation by tapping into shared values to secure science-based solutions for a healthy, thriving ocean that benefits us all.
We need an experienced communications strategist with a proven track record in managing climate change campaigns and leading science communications. With a deep knowledge in behavior change communications and a keen understanding of climate policy levers, our ideal candidate will be adept at inspiring different audiences to take action.
We are looking for someone who can synthesize complex subjects into engaging narratives, possesses strong media skills and a high degree of cultural competency.
We invite you to join our mission.
Ocean Conservancy is working to protect the ocean from today’s greatest global challenges. Together with our partners, we create science-based solutions for a healthy ocean and the wildlife and communities that depend on it. For more information, visit www.oceanconservancy.org, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The impacts of climate change on our ocean ripples out to all life on the planet. We need your expertise to anchor the importance of the ocean in local to global conservation action. This is a growing priority area for Ocean Conservancy.
You will be part of smart, creative and collaborative team, reporting to the Sr. Director of Communications. Your portfolio will focus primarily on climate change and science-based communications with key decision-makers and influencers. You will work closely with the Ocean Climate and Ocean Acidification programs, Government Relations and Digital teams to influence decision-makers on policies and actions to ensure the health of our ocean.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement innovative and powerful communication strategies to advance objectives for our Ocean Climate and Ocean Acidification programs.
- Deliver high-quality, compelling, immersive science-based materials to reach a variety of audiences.
- Leverage opportunities to elevate Ocean Conservancy science and scientists in the international and domestic climate areas.
- Adhere to best practices and the latest messaging research to communicate effectively about climate change and ocean acidification.
- Drive media coverage and online conversations to elevate the role of our ocean in the global climate change conversation.
- Serve as a trusted partner within the organization and a credible ambassador of our work externally.
- 3-5 years of experience in climate change communications and campaigns.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, Spanish highly desirable.
- Experience working effectively with coalitions and diverse networks; international experience highly desirable.
- Proven success at pitching and placing media stories.
- A creative, collaborative team player adept at working across lines of difference.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Ocean Conservancy offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note title and #1-19 in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.