Assists the Government Relations Department to significantly advance the organization’s legislative and grassroots advocacy agenda.
- Works to keep the Government Relations Department fully apprised of action on legislative and federal agency issues of importance to the organization.
- Acts as a liaison with other Ocean Conservancy programs and departments and keeps the organization apprised of Government Relations activities and priorities.
- Attends legislative hearings, meetings, markups and press conferences for the purpose of reporting on actions.
- Analyzes legislation, drafts legislative fact sheets and correspondence, prepares lobbying packets and briefing materials, responds to requests for information.
- Performs legislative and legal research on varying subjects, as assigned.
- Assists Communications team in engaging our constituency to advance our legislative goals.
- Handles logistics for special functions and conducts other special projects and activities, as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must be enrolled in, or a recent graduate of, a college degree program.
- Basic knowledge of federal legislative process and the operations of not for profit advocacy organizations is required.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to complete work in a thorough and professional manner; attention to detail. Strong communication and organization skills and the ability to coordinate multiple tasks from a variety of staff simultaneously with minimum supervision.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Microsoft office suites.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note position title and #19-05 in the subject line. This is a paid Internship.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.