Whether you care about the Arctic, marine mammals, seabirds or endangered sea life—a piece of legislation is moving through Congress that would threaten them all. We can’t let this happen.
The House of Representatives is about to vote on H.R.4239, a bill that would weaken ocean protections and intentionally pave the way for offshore oil and gas drilling.
Please join us in speaking on behalf of the ocean—take action and tell your Member of Congress to vote NO on H.R.4239.
This legislation is a direct attack against America’s most important conservation laws. For example, it would:
- Put the Arctic Ocean at higher risk for oil spills by canceling common-sense Arctic drilling safety and spill prevention rules.
- Weaken protections for marine mammals by gutting the Marine Mammal Protection Act.
- Put endangered ocean species at risk by overriding the Endangered Species Act.
- Gut our most effective bird conservation law, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
- Permanently ban the creation of any new protected ocean areas under the Antiquities Act.
- Eliminate existing protections from leasing and drilling in certain areas of the ocean and prevent future presidents from protecting new areas.
- Create loopholes to avoid environmental review.
These rules are common-sense safeguards designed to keep our ocean, coasts and coastal communities safe and healthy.